From the Sorority’s inception, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. has long demonstrated an interest in serving the needs of the community. Spanning the Sorority’s nearly thirty-year partnership with the March of Dimes to its relationship with the Human Genome Project, Zeta Phi Beta has been at the forefront of anticipating the ever-changing needs of society.
It is within this framework that International Grand Basileus Barbara C. Moore proudly introduces the new International Service Initiative for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.: Z-HOPE: Zetas Helping Other People Excel ™. “Since 1920, our national service programs have evolved to meet the critical societal needs of the time,” said International Grand Basileus Moore. “This administration has identified some key areas of concern as part of our programmatic thrust, and all of our efforts will be consolidated under the banner of Z-HOPE.”
What are the objectives of Z-HOPE?
Z-HOPE is an outreach service program that has six primary objectives, corresponding measures of success and a mechanism for chapter recognition. The primary objectives are:
- To provide culturally appropriate informational activities according to the Z-HOPE program format
- To foster collaborative partnerships between community organizations with shared goals
- To promote the opportunities for expansion in Stork’s Nest programs
- To facilitate community service and mentorship opportunities for members of the organization
- To provide an equitable chapter recognition program for community services rendered
- To provide a standard reporting format to concentrate efforts and demonstrate the organization’s impact
- Keeping Norfolk Beautiful
- Our quarterly clean-up service event, Adopt-a-Spot, takes place on Campostella Road between Berkley Ave and Filmore Street.
- YWCA Norfolk
- Hosting a toiletry drive for donation to help women in need.
- American Cancer Society Virginia
- Fundraising for the annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk and also donating wigs with our Wigs for Awareness initiative.
- Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore
- Participating in food sorting & packing events throughout the year and also our MLK Day of Service on January 20th each year.
- March of Dimes Hampton Roads
- Fundraising for the annual March for Babies walk and raising Prematurity Awareness in local churches within the Norfolk Area.
- Giving Thanks at Thanksgiving
- Working with our auxiliaries – Zeta Amicae of Norfolk & Archonettes of Norfolk to donate 5 Thanksgiving Baskets (full meals including the turkey!) to Norfolk families in need.
- Jacox Elementary School
- Our Adopt-a-School where we donate school supplies for our Z-Pack It Up initiative as well as read to 4th & 5th graders, and donate cold weather items for the students & staff.